Tuesday, January 18, 2011

And the winning drug combination is....

OK - So it looks like I am signed up for the Chemotherapy "TCH"

What the heck does TCH mean? 

That's exactly what I wanted to know! 

So TCH stands for the three drugs I'll be getting.

1) Taxotere (aka Docetaxel)

Taxotere works by preventing the normal function of the microtubules of the cancer cell of the cancer cell which are important in the process of cell division.

Side effects of Taxotere include:

...Hair loss occurs in all that are given Taxotere

...Lowered blood counts ...Taxotere causes lowering of bone marrow activity where blood cells are made.  It can lower the red blood cells, which results in anemia.  Anemia can cause fatigue and pale coloring.  It can also lower the white blood cell count causing neutropenia.  Neutropenia causes the body to have weaker defenses against infection.  It can also lower the platelet count (cells that prevent bleeding) causing thrombocytopenia.  Thrombocytopenia can cause bruising and bleeding

...Arthralagias and Myalgias ... short periods of joint and muscle aches and pains

...Peripheral Neuropathy... irritation of the nerve fibers resulting in numbness, burning, and tingling of the fingers and toes

...Nausea (rarely)

...Diarrhea (occasionally)

...Fluid retention

...Rash

...Irritation of the veins



2) Carboplatin (paraplatin)

Carboplatin works by disturbing the normal function of DNA, the building block of chromosomes.  It is an alkalyting agent.

Side effects of Carboplatin include:

...Lowered blood counts (see above)

...Nausea (well controlled by medication)

...Vomitting

...Neuropathy (see above)

...Hair loss (uncommon)

...Allergic reactions (uncommon)



3) Herceptin (Trastuzumab)

Herceptin works against the overexpression of the Her2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2) protein found in 25-30% of primary breast cancers.  It is in the class of drugs known as monoclonal antibodies.

Side effects of Herceptin include:

... Sensitivity reactions ...possible fever, chills, nausea, headache, itching, and rash

... Cardiac side effects ...rarely causes changes in heart function

... Diarrhea ...mild to moderate after treatment


So aside from all of that stuff,

no sweat! 

I have been prescribed a number of anti-nausea medications which I may use / experiment with at my leisure and include: ondansetron, prochlorperazine, and lorazepam

I'll also have the mighty drug, dexamethasone, at my disposal (to prevent allergic reactions).

Now - ENOUGH with all the big words and sh---tuff.

T minus 60 hours until I'm in the chair.  Ick!  But, I have my ipod, my laptop, my New Moon book, and... 
my fingers crossed.  Ick! 

As I roll my eyes yet again, I sign off and into the night with my trusty, fluffy, nufferson, Sampson at my side.  I suppose I'll be dreaming of shaved heads, naked heads, wigs, halos, and sleeping caps.  It's a good thing I do not have to wake up early for work tomorrow...  I have a feeling it is going to be a restless night.

Pthththttttt!

1 comment:

  1. So you have totally covered all the info that I could have given you regarding the general info for the meds. What a great patient...you really do your homework. I have used Carboplatin, Herceptin, and Docetaxel in my studies. Overall, the combination should do the trick. I have never used all three at the same time. Docetaxel (abbr: DTX) arrests the cells so they won't divide...no division...no new cells=Immune cells will attack! HER2 is positive which means the cancer cells have more of these receptors (normal receptor on other cells too)= cancer cells that grow fast and don't die. THis is why the other two drugs are great in combination= prevents new growth so immune system can get rid of them. This drug combination is VERY effective. I hope that you tolerate everything well and that your side-effects are minimal and tolerable. This is going to be a long journey, but know that we all love you and are here to support you through this whole process. My two cents...if you think you are going to be nauseaus, just take the anti-nauseau meds, if you think you may be in pain...take the pain meds. It takes time for drugs to work, so be proactive...you should not subject yourself to anything in addition. There is no gold star for torturing yourself at the end. XXOO's! I will be thinking of you tomorrow.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete