Monday, December 27, 2010

Happy Monday!

I was talking with my dad yesterday afternoon about my plans to return to work.  He seemed worried that I was going to start working the first day back.  I assured him I would be fine.  It was another couple of minutes into our debate about whether or not going back to work so soon was a good idea before I figured out that he thought the first day back was going to be today - not NEXT Monday.  No wonder he was concerned!

The last two days have been great.  I went on a short field trip to the San Jose TECH museum to see the Body Works exhibit yesterday with Jennifer, Seanpaul, and Madisen.  We went in the evening and it was nice and quiet.  After a couple of hours being upright, though, I was ready to go home.

Today, Kitty and I went on a nice long walk in the morning.  I finally had a chance to catch up with some friends who have left me wonderful messages over the last few days.  Later, I went out to get a few errands done.  My mom chauffeured and it was nice to feel productive for a while.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of sitting around and watching T.V., napping, and snacking, but getting out of the house was great!  Right now I'm hanging at my parent's house... I hear we're going to watch Mamma Mia tonight!

Overall things are going well... I guess I thought it was going to be a lot worse than it is.  I had visions of me laying in bed, unable to move either of my arms, not being able to eat, and having a gaping hole where the surgery had been done.  First, the stitches for my lymph node dissection are not directly underneath my armpit (where I thought they were going to be).  They are lower and closer to my rib cage, so, where I thought I would have a lot of problems with my arm rubbing against the stitches, there isn't anything going on.  I can move my left arm a lot more easily than I thought I'd be able to.  Second, the place where the surgeon put my "port" for chemotherapy is in a pretty comfortable spot and it is healing well.  The port is close to the top of my skin... it didn't go underneath any muscle tissue, so it's cool.  And third, the tumor part...  even that is healing and feeling better more quickly than I anticipated.  The incision is pretty big and I won't be able to wear any revealing or plunging necklines any time soon... and I've NEVER seen so many different colors of purple bruising all in one place (and covering so MUCH of my body) as I do now.  So, while it's not a pretty sight, I have absolutely NO complaints.

I would like to thank a few key players in my success thus far.  I mean, of course it is an honor simply to be nominated, but I am extremely fortunate to be able to thank my support staff and fans in such a public manner.  First, to my surgeon, Dr Bitar - she has been just lovely from the start.  Her hugs have been warm, friendly, and marvelous.  Next, I would like to send some love out to my anesthesiologist.  She was warm and caring and attentive the whole time I was awake.  She did a brilliant job putting me under and a stupendous job keeping me asleep when I needed to be asleep and getting me awake once everything was finished.

Thank you, Jennifer, for staying with me pre-surgery, keeping me occupied with thoughts of Feng Shui-ing your house, keeping my parents and family informed of my progress, and for holding out for coffee until I was in surgery.  Thank you to Mom for meeting me after the surgery and getting things in order for my stay at your house.  Thank you for getting (what you thought were) all the foods I asked for and for making sure my dog was well taken care of.  Thank you to Dad for keeping in touch with Jennifer and for checking in with me - exactly how I wanted and expected you to.  And a big, warm, thank you to my 7 and three quarters-of-a-year old niece, Maddie, for bringing me ice packs, and water, and pillows, and checking in on me, and drawing me get well cards, and cuddling next to me in my bed to watch movies while I slept.  You were a wonderful nurse!

Thank you to Che-Che Jeannie, Aunt Joyce, Kristina, Kris, Alicia, and Lisa for checking in on me and our great talks.  Thank you to everyone who sent an email, left a message, or added a message for me on facebook...  It has helped a ton knowing there are so many people out there thinking good thoughts for me.  There are many more people I would like to thank, but it looks like my time is up.  I love you all and will be seeing you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment